There isn’t one of us who doesn’t have some regret about the things we’ve done or the things we haven’t done over the course of our lives.
But every single day that dawns is a new day that gives us the opportunity to approach things differently. While there’s nothing that we can do to change what is past, we can determine to use the day ahead in positive, constructive and meaningful ways.
Little by little and day by day
These changes don’t need to be huge – in fact, when we rock the boat too much, there’s the danger that we may fall out!
Every small incremental change that you make in your life starts the process of building a life that feels meaningful.
This can be a decision to eat more living food instead of processed food, to move a little bit more, to spend some time meditating and reflecting, to use your creativity more consciously, to dress more authentically, to practice generosity and kindness – or anything that feels authentic, conscious or fulfilling.
The past is over
It can be tempting to dwell on what’s happened, but this is a fruitless habit. Yes, you may wish that things had been different, but focusing on what is over wastes your time and energy.
These powerful words help me to focus on what’s possible:
They remind me that the future is what lies ahead of me and that this is where the potential is. It gives me hope and courage to know that I can keep growing and developing to use my life to the best of my ability.
Let go of what you cannot change
No matter how old you are, embrace the time that you have in front of you and start right now. Use your life – every day and every hour – in ways that will enrich you and those around you.
Your life is a precious gift
Celebrate the life that you’ve been given and fill it with substance and meaning:
- Build relationships that are mutual, enriching and heartfelt
- Have meaningful conversations that don’t dwell on the negative
- Strengthen your spirit with prayer, meditation and reflection
- Find ways that you can be of service to those around you – no matter how small or how big – you’ll benefit more than anyone else
- Speak kindly and respectfully to all who may cross your path
- Improve your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health
- Express gratitude daily for all that you have and all that you are
If you pay attention to making some of these small, yet powerful changes right now, they will go a long way to creating the future that will eventually be a fulfilling past.